Friday, 1 October 2021 - Monday, 4 October 2021
The planning team has made great progress since announcing brief details at SWOTS in Nelson.
While earlier SWOTS and SWOTY weekends have attracted around 40 – 50 members, our experience at the last two is that we get 100 attendees. Accordingly, we recommend registering early – this also helps the organisers with venue planning when they have a good idea of attendance.
This event will be limited to 100 attendees.
Please register to secure your spot with a deposit of $100 per person. Please note that refunds will be per the updated Cancellations/Refunds Policy, Page 58 in the latest Spiel (Issue 210). The full cost will be advised as plans (and possible corporate sponsorships )are finalised, but is expected to be $295 per person.
We have reserved accommodation at the Ascot Park Hotel. Please contact them directly to book your room/unit; phone 0800 272 687 or 03 219 9076. They have 20 Hotel rooms @165 per night and 20 Motel units @ $120 per night; use Porsche Club SWOTY 2021 to receive a discounted rate.
The draft plan is:
Friday 1 Oct
- Arrive in Invercargill by 4.30 pm
- 4:30 - 5:30 pm: Register and collect your goodie bag
- 6 - 7 pm: Welcome get together and H&S Briefing. Drinks and nibbles will be provided
- 7 pm onwards: Enjoy dinner at the Ascot or share the love at local restaurants in Invercargill.
Saturday 2 Oct
- 9 am: Drive to Teretonga Race Track for a leisurely drive around the track. Follow the leader; split into three groups.
- Midday: Lunch at a venue TBA. Cost is included in your registration.
- After lunch: a spirited drive over the Catlins.
- Evening: Meet in the lobby for mystery transport to the dinner venue. Dinner will be a Masquerade Mask or Mad Hatter Dinner at Bill Richardson's Transport World Car Museum (300 cars). We will have dinner inside the museum with access to view all cars. Dinner is included in your registration. Dinner features include
- Guest speaker
- Sheriff session
- A world-famous Paul and Channon Porsche Quiz
Sunday 3 Oct
A free day to enjoy the attractions and sights of Invercargill and Southland. There are various options available to you at your own cost:
Stewart Island options:
- Boat trip - Drive to Bluff (there is a secure car park at the ferry terminal) to arrive in time for the ferry departure at 9:45 am. The ferry duration is one hour. The normal price is $158 per person but we have been promised a discounted rate depending on numbers. There are limited places on the ferry so it is advisable to pre-book to secure seats. If you are interested in this option, please indicate this on the registration form.
- Helicopter flight - please contact Te Anau Helicopter Services direct on 0800 234 890 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to make a booking. See email from them.
- Village and Bay tour in minibuses (90 minutes). Cost $49 per person; maximum of 21 passengers per trip. If numbers require (and we expect they will) there will be two trips - one at 11 am and the second at 1 pm. Again, we have been advised to pre-book so if you are interested, please indicate this on the registration form.
- Lunch at the South Seas Hotel - the freshest Blue Cod in the world at a cost of $25 to $36 depending on your choices. If you are on the 11 am minibus tour, you will have lunch around 12:30 pm and if on the 1 pm tour, you will need to have an early lunch at 11:45 am.
- In your free time, you can rent E-bikes, mopeds, kayaks or a car to explore further. There are also plenty of great walking tracks.
- 3.30 pm: Ferry departs for Bluff.
- Overnight stay on Stewart Island at the Stewart Island Lodge (own cost). Activities available:
- Ulver Island Sanctuary Guided Tour (2.5 hours)
- Half day fishing
- Kiwi spotting night tour
- Rakiura Museum
- Twinkle Dark Sky Tours
- Guided walks
Return to Bluff on Monday, 4 October.
Mainland activities options:
- explore Invercargill at your leisure
- Oreti Beach (famous for its motor racing heritage - Burt Munro)
- Bluff (Bluff signpost, Tiwai Point Smelter)
- Motorcycle Mecca
- Dig This
- Queens Park
- A leisurely drive to Croydon Aviation Heritage Centre, Mandeville (just north or Gore) a sixty-minute drive from the hotel
- A leisurely drive West to Riverton, Colac Bay and Tuatapere
Dinner will be at Ascot Park - cost is included in your registration. A relaxed, fun evening with old and new friends plus the inevitable Sherriff's session.
Monday 4 Oct
Breakfast and goodbyes as we depart for home.
We look forward to seeing you at SWOTY 2021!
The SWOTY 2021 Team
- Andre Hopman
- Channon Ross
- Paul Alexander
- Dave Cousins
- Roger Carter